Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!!

This is my rant from Tumblr. I thought it was a pretty good rant, so posted it here. Remember to Recycle, folks!!

I took this picture of one of the flowers in my garden. I am going to plant a vegetable/fruit garden in May. Trying to do my part. I watched ‘Food Inc.’ last night(well half of it) on PBS’ POV. I have been dying to see it. The part that I saw was about genetically modified seeds and lawsuits between Monsanto and farmers. It is pretty crazy how much we don’t know about the food we eat. I have always been on/off again vegetarian, eating meat is convenient. My family and my boyfriends family are all big meat eaters. They have all known me during my veggie phases, but it is still an effort. Day to day I never ate meat, except at restaurants. I have never felt very confident cooking meat. Since I moved in with my meat-loving boyfriend I have been experimenting with cooking meat. I still believe that I shouldn’t be eating meat. But, if I am going to eat meat then I want the best and I want to know where it comes from. It is scary when you look at the piece of beef on your plate and imagine its journey from “farm” to your plate. We need to be realistic about our food and stop pretending that everything is how we think it is or how we have grown up knowing it is. It’s not! Modern day farms are almost non-existent and steadily on the decline. People of my generation are living in cities, relying on big business to supply them their food. We need to take back the soil! If you want to live green then move to where it is green!

Now, keep in mind that this is my opinion on the morning of Earth Day, after watching ‘Food Inc.’, I have moved out of the city but I am not going to live on a farm. It would be nice to have more property and maybe raise something. But that isn’t really the plan just yet. Time will tell. But I do think that with everyday I am becoming more and more of an advocate.

BUT, most importantly, do what you can do. Wherever you are. Even if you do one ‘green’ thing a day at the end of the year you have done 365! That is a lot! We are all capable.

Okay, rant done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment